Monday, July 14, 2008

The 411 on Shepherd

I have a friend that wants to know about Shepherd, the person, the baby, the man he might become.

How would I describe Shepherd?

My own mother says, "He is the best baby I have ever seen".

That might sound like something alot grandmothers would say, but not my mom. She adores babies, but she has always reserved "the best" statement for my sister Julie.

Being the unattended, sad, pathetic middle child, you might think I would have been bitter over these years. Nope, not anymore.

"Mom, who was the best baby?" ( I have asked this question a million times trying to get her to sway from her answer)

"Oh, Julie was the best baby."

I have even asked this on my own birthday, hoping the guilt would make her say me, just once.

"Julie was the best baby ever". So much for birthdays!

"How about me?"

"Well, you turned out fine."

"I was the best 15 year old, was I not?"

"Yes, you were the best 15 year old."

Not anymore! Julie, your reign as the best baby is over. I called my younger sister, who also was obviously not a better baby than Julie (even though she was apparently much better than me) and told her the news. "The Best Baby has been dethroned!" She couldn't believe it either.

So what if he isn't biologically mine. Or that we had to go halfway around the world to get him.

He is simply the best baby in the world.

OK, he is also LOVING, CUDDLY, SMILEY, GOES TO EVERYONE, SECURE, DOES NOT CRY GOING TO THE CHURCH NURSERY, A GREAT EATER, DOES NOT MELT DOWN IF IT'S PAST HIS BEDTIME, CALM, CHARMING, HANDSOME, ADORABLE, HAS BEAUTIFUL SKIN AND HAIR, LOVES TO BE LOVED, LOVES TO LAUGH AND COO AND IS SO SWEET.

He is everything I personally prayed for. As many of you know, I didn't get to hold Hadley for so long. For that reason, most preemies are not snuggly (that's what they drs told us). Hadley is so energetic and has really not wanted alot of cuddling. SHe is LOVING, but not cuddly. I had asked God for a sweet, lovable baby that wanted to be held and rocked to sleep.

Bingo!

It's too good to be true. The way God just gives us so many little things (that are huge to us) is too good.

I love that.

4 comments:

Nanette R. said...

Thanks for the posts. I'm sure it's been more than crazy for your family since you've been back, but I, for one, enjoyed reading what you wrote (as always). So glad that you have a sweet, cuddly little boy to hold while you watch your beautiful, vivacious daughter run around. :-)

Shelley B. said...

Oh your 411 on Shepherd made me so happy. ISN'T God sooooo GOOD

I love you Shelley

The Knight Family said...

How sweet!!!!!! I have 2 boys and a girl - Boys just LOVE their mommies! I am soooo happy for you and the new little man in your life. I am happy for all 4 of you!!!
~Cindy

Eric Holcombe said...

I love the dethroning of the best baby! I can see you making a HUGE issue out of that and rubbing it in for all its worth. I have been out of the loop in reading Shepherd's blog, but now I am updated again. I am so thankful for your lovey, dovey baby boy. I love to cuddle, too!