Monday, July 14, 2008

The Chinese Stinkeye

I love that term.

My neice, Kathryn, who seems to come up with hilarious sayings every summer she visits us, has added this to her repertoire.

While in China, we noticed how the Nationals would stare at us. We ain't talking just a casual glance. I am talking full-blown, unabashed, the kind any Southern girl would get a pinch from her mother for STARING.

I guess it just isn't a big deal in China. They don't try to hide it like we Americans would. They bring it.

It was strange at first, but then I took on the Jolie-Pitt attitude and held my head high and walked on. Then, I realized my lips were not THAT puffy so I got down off my high horse and got all nervous again.

Well, we are back home and not really getting stared at anymore (unless I don't have on lipstick and everyone wonders if I am sick). But one night at dinner, Kathryn noticed that Shepherd was staring intently at her and she bursts into laughter stating that Shepherd was giving her "The Chinese Stinkeye".

Maybe he will outgrow it.

And if he won't, he might get pinched by his mother...

No comments: