Saturday, June 14, 2008

Chinese Culture through the eyes of a red head

Ok, I knew it would be different, but man! It is really really different!

1. Cell Phones - you hardly ever see anyone on them. We are in Beijing, a very "metropolitan" city with lots of young people. However, I have literally seen about 3 people on a phone. Very strange. In the US, you don't NOT see people on the phone!

2. Social Conscious - While visiting the cultural places yesterday, I noticed that people, young and old were also there to visit, kind of like us going to Washington DC. Very interesting thing - it was very, very quiet. People in groups traveling around, actually listening to their tour guides. Children behaving very well. Respect shown to these historic places. People were not gabbing on the cell phones or walking around exposing way too much skin! I liked that.

3. The Chinese Walmart - Chad and I went last night. Just the opposite of quiet and calm, displayed while we were sightseeing. Hurried, lots of chatter (I probably noticed more than a Chinese national because it sounds so different) and people grabbing what they need as quick as they can to get out of there. Although Chad feels like that in Walmart, I find it somewhat relaxing sometimes to meander through the store, looking, browsing - there was none of that. In, Out, on their way.

4. The general attitude of the people - While we were walking to Walmart, I noticed that people just seemed to be walking, getting to where they needed to be, kind of emotionless. It certainly made me think of their need for a Savior. I was talking to another fellow adoptive mom this morning and we felt like they simply looked like they were without joy. They really do. Now, I know that cultures are different, but you would probably have to see it to believe it. It is sad.

5. Food - I will comment on another post. There is alot to tell about this subject. The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!

No comments: