Saturday, June 21, 2008

Driver’s Ed needed in China ASAP!




You would not believe, and I mean, not believe how these folks drive here.
While in Tiayguan City, where Shepherd was, we almost got hit 30 times while riding in our bus. If I lived here, I would drive a Ford F150. I wouldn’t take any chances.
There were 3 lanes, which they turned into 7. They turn around in the middle of the road at any time. They constantly beep their horn, no turn signals for them…
Also, if you are not driving a teeny, tiny car, you are on a bike. You could be on a bike in 3 inch heels. I got respect for that. Anyone that can ride a bike in heels while talking on a cell phone, deserves a Big Mac.
Our biggest fear – crossing the street! Our guide would simply meander out into the street while cars are blowing their horns and whizzing by us. Many times we would just let her go. She would get to the other side and just laugh at us. She can laugh all she wants, I refuse to be someone’s hood ornament.
Besides all these things, here is the most bizarre. In China, 1 million pedestrians a year are killed! The rule? If you hit someone and they DIE, you are not responsible, since it was their fault they were in the street. BUT, if you hit someone and they do not die, you must cover their medical expenses. OK, I know this is a different culture, but that is just CRAZY!!!!

P.S. We are finally able to load a pic or two.

2 comments:

Laura said...

YAY! I'm glad you were finally able to put up pictures. Shephard is beautiful! (is it OK to say that about a boy???) Sounds like things are going well. I hope the 3 of you have a wonderful trip home.

Regina said...

I thought we were going to die many times while braving the roads in China. Thank goodness I didn't actually have to do any of the driving. I don't think I would have made it very far. CRAZY!!!
Regina